Saturday, December 26

Delicious Home Cooked Vietnamese Yum Yums

House-warming Dinner Party at Hue's !

I like this time of the year, lotsa gatherings lotsa parties. This evening, Porkchop invited me to join him at one of his colleague's housewarming dinners .

Other guests at this dinner included some of Porkchop and Hue's other team mates. Michael , a local singaporean, Colin who's also vietnamese and Jason who's from China.

Everyone barring Michael and myself was a foreigner who had spent anything betwen 3-10 years in Singapore . They came, they decided this was the place for them, and they made up their mind to live , work ,build their families and bring up their children here in Singapore.

Our gracious hosts Hue and wifey

We were all in for a treat. This evening's entire dinner spread was prepared from scratch by the missus! Authentic Vietnamese home cooking! :D The rice had green bean mixed into it...its just a surprisingly interesting taste the more you chew on the rice, the more green beanish it tastes

I was particularly curious about this corn and dried shrimp dish. But i liked it! one mouthful and i was hooked hahaha
we had multiple servings of this canned meat thing that looked suspiciously like spam..luncheon meat...but it tasted different., Hue said it was vietnamese brand luncheon meat.

Curry leaf steamed fish...which is intended for our rice paper roll wrap as a key meat ingredient.
Porkchop busily attacking the food...Colin's a very active speaker...lotsa movements hahaha Hue's Missus demonstrating how we should wrap our rice paper rolls. ...first we soak the rice paper in water to soften it, then we load it wit veggies, sprouts, mint leaves, rice noodles, some of the fish...roll it up and dip it in fish sauce :D

Tada! my self wrapped rice paper roll! yeah yeah looks ugly...but hey as long as it wraps everything up neatly and fits in my mouth, I dont give a damn! hahaha



Hue's wifey demonstrating how to PROPERLY wrap a rice paper roll...hahaha Jason was like the guppy, we just scrunch everything up into a ball and shovel everything into our mouths !

Just as I thought that rice paper roll was the dinner main course, I could not be more wrong!
Main course was a special beef noodle dish called Bun Bo Huay ..the soup stock was like nothing i had tasted before. Mmm very different . "spicy" but not 'hot" like there was a curry leaf after taste ? not sure how to describe it but i think i kinda like it ? :)


I enjoyed this housewarming party :) Hue said he will prepare something special for everyone during lunar new year next year .. Im excited!


Great company, warm hospitality, excellent home cooking. Yes indeedy guppies love home cooked dinners!


Who will cook for me next ?!

Footnote
: on the way back home, I had a smallish dramatic traumatic episode. We trudged back to the multistorey carpark next to Hue's block. but we could not find Ashton! i searched every single floor. and finally gave up..concluding that Ashton mustve gotten stolen!

i called my dad who immediately decided to comepick us up to take us to the police station to make a stolen vehicle report, and while waiting i called moo

lucky for me moo reminded me that i couldve been in the wrong multistorey carpark . AND SHE WAS RIGHT! the bastards who built that housing estate built 2 IDENTICAL multistorey carkparks! aaaaaaaaaa! i was in the wrong carpark. porkchop and i eventually found Ashton, ( in the right carpark) i gave ashton a big hug and finaly heaved a sigh of relief.

I realise now, after this traumatic episode how much i LOVE my car :p mad thoughts were running through my mind, the bastards who stole my car...are they taking a joyride spin across the causeway into Malaysia? can i claim enough insurance money to buy me a spanking new Audi?

Madness!

No comments: