Monday, July 14

Adventure on MV Whitemanta with 199divecutie!

11-13 July 2008

When 199divecutie suggested enthusiastically to go on a scuba adventure on the MV Whitemanta to Tioman , this little guppy was thrilled to bits :D woohoo!

About a month or two ago, i was introduced to "someone who's just as nutty as you are and also crazy about scubadiving" -To cut a long story short, all conversations i had online or off with this cutie were always fun, open and entertaining. He came across as someone witty, intelligent , open minded , funny and well just generally friendly. He's claimed right from the start when we first met he's "very careful (a.k.a el cheapo)" with money ... I said to myself " eh this one! this one..he sounds just like me! except Im spendy guppy ha ha ha " mabbe we can be good friends!

Ok so off we went on this scuba adventure! in search of fishies, happie marine critters and more fishies! 199divecutie brought along his spanking new underwater video cam (Huge toy with equally obscenely huge price tag) woohoo! we're gonna film some fishies underwater... *foams*

We arrived at Changi Yatch Club right on time, and were greeted by whitemanta staff at the entrance. When we finally settled down, I realise - shucks! I brought my own little dive still camera but forgot to bring along the battery! STOOOPID GUPPY!!!!! *slaps self*

I finally settled down to what i came on this trip to observe and study (besides the beautiful marine life) and get to know better , my 199divecutie. Alas our conversations just didnt go as well as i thought they would.

Over the next 2 days on this dive trip, when 199divecutie asked me something, and i gave him my opinion, so long as the opinion doesnt match his, I get a lecture about why my opinion is incorrect, or why he is surprised I asked something I already knew the answer to , or how surprised he is at my views or thoughts, or he complains that i never let him finish his sentences bla bla bla

Over the next 2 days on this dive trip,I kept trying -- Whether it was a comment I made about the book he was reading, why he chose to stay in singapore, why not other cities etc etc almost every one of his responses were grating, and just surprisingly curt. sigh why doesnt he like little guppies when he's got her attention all weekend?? sobss.

Everything was so far away from the warm open-ness i felt from our earlier engagements, eventually , I ran away to hide somewhere on the boat and just sleep. hoping both of us can still enjoy the scuba trip if we avoid conversations that annoy each other. ok only breaking for lunch! and meals...coz then i get to observe him talking to other people. :P yep he's nicer to other people. lotsa things to say to them ...
hmmm ok lah we did have happie conversation moments, where he encouraged me to dive when i had my waves of laziness, and was tempted to skip dives, he always made sure he did a buddy check for me. and waited for me to equalise when we were in the water *heehee*

BUT!!!

I did observe 2 very very cool things about 199divecutie!

He is a very experienced good diver! skilled. albiet takes some "calculated" risks and is an air guzzler..I felt safe diving with him . Scuba diving with this cutie is actually fun as we search under rocks, and yes, there was a moment of insanity where he chased after two titan triggerfish to try to catch them on videocam.. this guppy took a deep breath ,one hand on her dive dagger another hand on her guages , she signaled him she was afraid and followed him on his mad crusade. :P

and!

On the night dive , there were two other divers on the boat that wanted to try a night dive but they havent got their advanced certification yet, without hesitation, 199divecutie inspired them to ask the divemasters on board to provide them with torches, gave them a proper briefing and brought them down for their FIRST EVER night dive ...and then brought them back safely onto the boat too! Their faces were so full of joy, it was heartwarming to hear one of them share how they saw a giant turtle, dogfish and their experiences diving in darkness underwater at night!

well done 199divecutie! I was so impressed! ok la we annoy each other but you know what, i give credit where credit is due -You are so damn cool .

All is not lost!

somewhere out there are some cool footages of cutesy GIANT pufferfish! and i mean HUGE! , blue spotted stingrays, cute little yellow box fish, lotsa nemos swimming in anemones, seafans, corals, ...rocks.. we even saw giant bump head parrot fish, trigger fish and more! the diving was good at some sites!

the mood did get better when i remembered that i had a mobile phone with a camera on it! i managed to capture these limited shots :

meet 199divecutie! such an BIG smile! yes adorable only when not giving a lecture :P DIFFERENT OPINIONS CAN CO-EXIST ! and No I dont ask questions i already know the answers to for fun! i asked them to make conversation twit!

hmmm samsung omnia smartphone seems to be doing a smashing job ...

surface interval time, other divers chatting.
relaxing at the bow before the night dive


199divecutie patiently shares some tips on what to note when doing night dives with two eager newbies who are excited to do their first night dive!a briefing on compass use!

no fear 199divecutie take u night diving! yeehar!

Happie newbie night divers!

Will this be the first (and last) scuba adventure 199divecutie does with this happieguppy? sigh mabbe it should be for both our sanitys!

*This one's for u moomoo! hhhehehe see? i didnt do any touching!*
Aiya wat a cute smile right ? he is a likeable person, I am a likeable guppy... sigh just cannot talk to each other without getting on each others nerves! how come?!
Overall this dive trip wasnt that bad for me except for 3 instances :
At Bahara Rock : I had a panic attack on the first dive, dunno why , couldnt feel any air, so i aborted my first dive, but i joined 2 other divers and made a re-entry. we eventually lost our divemaster, but i managed to bring the 2 other divers up safely! and even did a safety stop with them :) *proud of myself*

During one of the surface intervals at Chebeh - Whitemanta picked up a group of "distressed, tired" divers who surfaced too far off from their dive boat. Amongst them was a loser who just inspires every bit of disgust in me. If he was leading the dive, its no wonder they landed in such an embarassing state. but ofcourse i wouldnt know what really happened , actually i dont really care , He was just an eyesore, standing on my holiday boat, nothing but an eyesore. so I just went off about my own relaxing surface interval nap.

I recieved an sms on the 2nd night, that grandma had passed away. But i was out at sea and couldnt respond nor rush back. I lost the mood to dive the next day. I am sad my grandma passed away but she was bed ridden for so long, its just i guess something that everyone was expecting already.

Im going off to attend the funeral in a few hours time. not able to sleep tonight.

No comments: