Friday, November 20

Its a Matter of Principle

Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing?

I think there is too much decadent dining going on in my life. I need to really cut down , its getting obscene.

Take today for example. Lunch was a heavy roast chicken and BBQ ribs affair with Tracie ( its amazing how much 2 hungry women can eat for lunch 4 side dishes and 2 corn muffins on top of the chicken and the ribs! hahaha) I spent the entire afternoon back in the office trying to stay awake!

This wet rainy evening, in light of my over indulgent feeding activities this week, I had planned a more subdued quiet night in front of the tv, toast a couple of bread rolls ,eat em with some delicious real butter and wash it down with some moscato. that was supposed to be it.

Instead what did I do?

I accepted the dinner invitation from someone who has done everything he possibly could to show me how insignificant our friendship is to him. I accepted his dinner invitation because I am sick of being a petty little guppy, and I thought ( i wished) he had something meaningful to say that could fix things. Like a simple acknowledgement (oops i boo booed my friend) or apology.

So we ended up gorging on delicious food at PS Cafe at Dempsey .


The ambience, setting , lighting is as always, nice at PS Cafe..but alas, the place was so packed, and there was so little curtaining to absorb the sounds, it got quite noisy as the dinner crowd started to pack into the cafe. Like all my friends, he accomodated my idiotic urge to take pics of the food before we demolished them. But nope, not one mention of an apology. Cherry Berry Mocktail vs Cabernet Savignon ...sigh alas little guppies had to drive us all home. No boozing tonight.Appetizer was this delicious Bostom Mussels..drenched in garlicky wine infused stock. We also ordered some battered fish and chips, and my favourite King Prawn pasta.

Although we were full, we still ordered a stickydate pudding cake to share...big mistake, we could not even finish half of this cake between the both of us. It was simply too much food.

As we ate, and chatted, there was no mention of past petty grievances. Infact it was a comforting pleasant meal.

So what now? Pleasant though the dinner may be, there was no apology, no acknowledgement of hurt, nothing. Seeing as an effort was made to buy me a nice dinner, I thought i would also make an effort

Dear YOU who spent a bomb paying for tonights dinner---> My last hurrah at salvaging this friendship was in the act of sending you a piece of clear instruction on how to fix it.

You can choose to follow the instructions, or choose to ignore it. For me, I am content to let sleeping dogs lie, in time, it will be back to normal. No one will know the difference.

Its a matter of principle:

  • I cannot continue to invest in a friendship where I give so much yet get so little back in return.
  • I cannot continue to take you seriously if you continue to invest more in other friendships and only pay lipservice to me.
  • Most importantly I find it insulting that you deny me an activity request, but readily do that same activity with everybody else.

I cannot afford to continue to be angry with you because the people around me love you so help me help you .

Either fix things per my instructions, or let sleeping dogs lie.

No comments: