Sunday, November 29

Old Fashioned Guppy

A recent series of debate and conversation had set me thinking.

I always thought i was a born romantic. That I would stand by my chosen man , for richer or poorer, through sickness or in health till death do us part .

But i also subscribed to the idea...that you know, my man..life partner..will take care of my every material, want and needs...i will be super well taken care of.. never starve or want for anything bla bla bla..(Oh come on i dont believe im the only one who subscribes to this idea --->, u read the fairy tales, did Cinderella, Snow white, Belle, Repunzel etc go for the ugly, poor non-prince ? absolutely Not ...its always the rich handsome prince) and they lived happily ever after. because he is a prince! he will provide for her take care of her and love her forever and ever and ever and ever!

i Wiki-ed the word " husband" and found alot of stuff...but one line stands out to me : In premodern times a husband was supposed to protect and support not only his wife and children, but servants and animals of his domain, and the father was awarded with much authority differing from that of his wife.

I always dreamed that the one i chose will be ambitious, successful, rich , flambouyant, charming, loving, devoted and i will be the intelligent loving woman behind him and his every success. Fast forward to today .. what do i do if

  • I make more than the man of my dreams
  • I am more aggressive and ambitious than the man of my dreams
  • The man of my dreams wants to stay home , and work from home
  • The man of my dreams subscribes to the notion a wife is just as responsible to protect and support not only her husband and children, but servants and animals of her domain, but still obey and allow the husband to be man of the house. lord of his domain.

Does this mean he is NOT the man of my dreams?

This debate went on over the weekend... as i argued and debated with him over the traditional roles within a family unit. we could not reach any mutually acceptable agreement on this idea.

I decided I will be the small woman, I will make soup for he who wants to be taken care of financially, physically , mentally by his woman.

the simple ingredients : Potato, radish, wolf berries, carrot , red dates , braised peanuts fresh chicken thigh pieces chop up all the veggies , wash the chicken pieces , toss everything into a slow cooker , poor in boiling hot water and switch on the cooker...leave to stew for 4 hours ...Voila! delicious soup is ready with minimal fuss

As i watched him drink my home made soup, one constant thought ran through my mind. I much prefer to make the soup watch him drink it happily... than bring home the bacon. Will i change my mind? Will I be willing to give up my dream job : to be a nuturing little woman, a supportive wife? whose main job was to make my home , my family the only career goals of my life? Only time will tell...
Heheh meanwhile, the soup was...super delicious if i do say so myself , and true to form, i really do make idiot proof delicious nutritious soups!

No comments: